More crazy designs

Between working long hours onsite in our current project during the working days and spending evenings and weekends planning the next large project the MultiCam has been idle of late. That of course will change soon as we begin work on the house once again, do all of the remaining smaller signs for our current project and then begin work on the next project right after.

I did the last of the concept art for the Trinidad project last night. Now the construction and engineering drawings are underway. Thankfully they are being done by others although I have a lot of input along the way.

For this project I did over a hundred pieces of concept art. The Skallywag Bay Adventure Park is going to be a pretty cool place when we are done. I thought I would share a few more of the concepts, fresh off the drawing tablet.

As always we’ll be using the CNC router to create many of the components and also do a fair amount of hand sculpting as well. You can count on me showing the entire process here.

-dan

Cookie gets a base

I spent the last two days in meetings with engineers and planners working on the final plans for Skallywag Bay Adventure Park. The project is proceeding and will move from the concept stage through the detailed planning. Today’s talk was of the infrastructure and buildings which we will then apply our magic to – when they are done. While that process labors on we will begin the creative work.

Tonight’s project was a little more fun. Back in October at our Sculpting Magic Workshop I did the sculpture of Cookie, the head pirate of the eating establishment. Today I would create the routing file for the sign face – at long last.

I first did a quick vector trace of the sign and lettering.

 Then I added borders to the letters using the offset outline tool.

Lastly I added a bent rectangular vector around the sign border and lettering.

The border vector was selected and using the flat relief tool I created a flat relief.

This relief was then modified using dome tool using the bent rectangular vector as a mask.

In the same fashion I created a flat relief of the entering border and then modified it using the bent rectangular shape to dome it up to match the sign background.

The steel bands were then created and modified in similar fashion. These were combined with the sign background reliefs.

Once the bands and sign background was united into one relief I then combined the lettering border with the sign background using the merged highest command.

Then I modified this relief by adding the second raised border.

Lastly the raised and domed lettering was added to the relief.

The sign face was now ready for tool patching and routing from 2″ thick – 30 lb Precision Board.

Stay tuned for the next processes on this sign.
-dan

Designing for the (near) future

As we come into the home stretch on the urgent large project I am also full blast into the final designs for the next project due to start as soon as this one is done.

The next will be a fun one with all kinds of full blast dimensional signs of course. Here’s a sneak peek at a few of the designs coming off the design table…

As much fun as the current project is I do believe the next will be a teeny bit better yet – as it should be. Stay tuned…
-dan

Starting Skallywag

I was in Trinidad for five days last week doing preliminary work for a very large project there that is due to start next year. It is going to be both fun and challenging to say the least. I am currently involved in developing all of the artist conceptions and preliminary plans.

 

You can count on a whole bunch of posts as this project proceeds.

-dan