We’ve been pushing hard in the shop of late, keeping both the MultiCam plasma cutter and router very busy. It’s not often we use the router for 2D cutouts but we’ve cut about 40 sheets of plywood in the last week with all of the pieces we need to start serious production of the arches. Well go through a couple more skids of plywood yet on this project.
We are working in an assembly line method. The CNC machines churn out the pieces. First the cut metal plate pieces are welded together and this is then mated to the square tubing frames. Each arch assembly has sixteen plasma cut pieces and about thirty pieces of tubing and twenty-five shapes of cut 3/4″ thick plywood.
Once we have a few armatures finished it is time to do a little sculpting. We managed three arches today as a trial run. From now on our goal is to do four each mud day.
In another section of the shop the painters are busy pre painting the number plates. Like the arches they will appear well worn and ancient. This is just over half of the required numbers.