SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Official" answer to the key issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Official" answer to the key issue
    Posted: 02 July 2009 at 1:14pm

Why do I have to pay $50 for a new key?

EnRoute software does not have yearly maintenance fees or frequent upgrades.  In fact, after EnRoute was first released, there were multiple no-charge updates released over a seven year period.  So when it comes to charges after the sale, we have a pretty good program.  But it was necessary for us to switch to a new security system to better protect your investment and to be able to provide new types of  capabilities such server keys and keyless systems, which are projects that we are working on. Itís a course of action we have to take to best serve our customers and to remain competitive in the market.   If economic times were different, we might be able to consider other options, but at this time we have to ask for a nominal charge for the purpose of replacing the key. 

Edited by thopkins
cadit View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 3:39pm
Hi thopkins,

I truly don't mean to come across as an ass, but how will the new key protect my investment ?

Dose keeping the key I was given, and not upgrading mean that my investment may be vulnerable ? Is SAI phasing out the old keys and should I get the new key regardless of an upgrade ?

Thanks

thopkins View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 4:26pm
Its protecting your investment because it is making it more difficult for the software to be pirated. Which we have had some trouble with.
No one will benefit if we have to close our doors.
I dont think your an ass, outspoken..maybe.

cadit View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 8:59pm
Look, what I was trying to say is, my question could be taken as a wise ass remark or statement.
I truly wanted to know why a new key would protect my investment.

OK, so piracy is the answer to why I should want to pay for a new key, to protect the future of SAI. which in turn benefits me because I own their product.

Being outspoken is not a negative, it's whats keeps America honest.

The statements made within, were intended for mature audiences only, and in no way reflect the opinions of anyone other than the poster.
parkson View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2009 at 10:19am
IMO, piracy issues should be dealt from within the company and not up to the end user.

-Park

thopkins View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 12:33pm
I agree, about the outspoken point wholeheartedly. 
briderx View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briderx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 1:04pm

There is a crack out there that allows users to use Enroute without a key. I have spoken to Tim about this issue in the past and I am hoping that info got passed on to EJ and whoever else it needs to be passed on to. I 100% agree with a different security measure since the HASP is so easily crackable. I agree it's up to the company to stop it, but I'm figuring they weighed their options and this was the best method. They knew that there would be a stir in the community over this charge, especially to the select few that seem to keep the boat floating.. The way I see it: as they stated "We have had almost 7 years of updates without 1 charge.. So, ASSUMING you spent $4500.00 roughly on the software (don't know exact numbers) BUT, since we're assuming... That would be $1.75 per day (give or take) that you are spending to own this software. With the capabilities of the software, that's a deal in my opinion. They COULD be charging $30.00 per update (yes, I understand that would run them into the ground) but they COULD do that.. They're not. $50.00 is an hours work for some of you.. I would just pay it, say "thank you for the update" and move on. Doesn't need to be a man hunt just because they need to charge a bit for something..

Now, Tim... $25.00 seems a little more reasonable for a crappy dongle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic