SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CUTTING A FILL PART 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHNHORN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CUTTING A FILL PART 2
    Posted: 26 January 2005 at 11:54am

as an example take a letter"a" and island fill it.  then try to just cut the outside edge, not the inside triangle of the letter "a".  When i first fill then select the outside to add a routing offset, it selects both the outside & inside "triangle" to be cut. And when i first add a routing offset and then fill, it will fill the complete "a".

any help?

andkal View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andkal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 2:04pm

What about two identical A's in the same spot but on different layers. Could you then tool path them separately?

Andy

JOHNHORN View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHNHORN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 2:10pm
that is what i am doing now - but i would think that not being able to select the outside line is a bug and needs fixxing
bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 6:46pm
It's a bit of work but you can solve this by first EXPLODING the text, and then doing a MERGE CONTOURS separately on the inside and outside lines of the "A".

When text is created it is done as a complete letter or letters as in other programs such as AutoCAD. You can always expode it though to make modifications to individual letters.

BH Davis
bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 6:50pm
I just did a double check and this is actually very easy. You don't need to do the MERGE CONTOURS on the inner and outer lines in the "A" separately.

Try creating a single word and then exploding it. Then select the entire word (it's still selected if you do this immediately after exploding) and do the MERGE CONTOURS. You will have exactly what you want.

You have to be careful here now though. Since the letters are now individual items they can be moved, have tool paths assigned etc. independantly from one another. As such it becomes easier to accidentally do something you weren't intending.

BH Davis
JOHNHORN View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHNHORN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2005 at 7:52pm
will this work with non text objects? i just  used an A as example
bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 7:39am
It shouldn't be necessary on non-text objects drawn in Enroute. Nested items (such as the inside contour of the "A") should act as independant objects.

If you've imported something that hasn't been exploded in the original drawing program (which can be problmatic for Enroute) then this method should work as well. However, I'm not sure that it would even be necessary. I always try to make sure I don't have any "joined" lines in AutoCAD before exporting them to Enroute (I do my main drawings in AutoCAD and only do touchup drawing in Enroute).

Give a little more detail on your process if you would and I'll see if I can help a bit more.

BH Davis
ancom View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 8:16pm

BH are you saying you import into Enroute without joining poly lines and then taking care of that in Enroute? Using merge contours?

Just curious, why is that? I've had some problems with trying to join lines in Enroute

Andy

bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2005 at 6:13am
Andy,

Actually, I don't even use polylines in AutoCAD. I tend to draw with lines, arcs and splines. Sometimes when I need to do an offset I'll do a PEDIT and JOIN the lines and arcs after converting them to polylines. However I explode the object before saving it as a .dxf for import into Enrout 3 Pro.

I have my PREFERENCES set in Enroute to do both a .02" CLEAN UP and MERGE CONTOURS on both IMPORT and PASTE. This automatically joins about 95% of my contours on import. Anything that doesn't join at .02" needs a closer look anyway.

If something goes wrong on import the first thing I do is turn off the MERGE and CLEAN UP on IMPORT and PASTE in the prefrences window.

If you are having trouble joining lines in Enroute take a close look at the tolerance you are using. I have found it needs to be in the neighborhood of .03" or less for most of the things I draw (trim for doors, windows etc.). Larger tolerances can skew things all over the place. Obvbiously, also take a look at your line segments to make sure they are for the most part dead on touching without overlapping.

In AutoCAD if I'm offsetting a spline that has a line or arc attached to the end I'll first offset all components. Then I'll move each of the offset components away from their new location and return them snapping them end to end. This is because an offset will often make the two objects overlap just enough to create havoc in Enroute with the MERGE.

BH Davis
andkal View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andkal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2005 at 6:46am

BH,

Thanks for this response and the advice. I'm still a baby with Enroute so any info that shortens the learning curve is helpfully.

I'm not too far away in MA so someday when I've got some time I'd like to visit and check out your operation.

Andy

bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2005 at 7:45am
Any time. We're in northeast CT just 20 minutes south of Worcester, MA.

BH
andkal View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andkal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2005 at 9:11am

Great, I'm only about 30 minutes northeast of Worcester off route 495

Andy

Daniel_tlv View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_tlv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2005 at 7:24am
hi Andy,
i think that the easiest way resolving what your'e trying to do is to use layers. type your A and then un-group it, copy the outside shape and paste it to a different layer and add the routing offset to it, then you can go back to the original layer and select both internal and external contours and Fill them, you don't need to regroup them.
andkal View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andkal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2005 at 6:01pm

Daniel,

Thanks but it was actually JohnHorn who started the thread

Andy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic