Forum Home Forum Home > Flexi FAMILY > General Flexi FAMILY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feature Request

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Scanvec Amiable Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 2:50pm
Comments on two previous issues:

9-Area of objects: I understand the issue now, thanks for the explaination.

16-AutoCad plugin: I recently had a chance to do some layout in a CAD package and also found it very convenient to draw in them. Long term, I would rather see options in Flexi to draw this way rather than to put in a .FS export to AutoCad, but I will look into that.

New requests:

21-Layer support for import/export: Actually, we are working on this one. Currenly, all layers are merged together on import or export.

22-Center text on an arc: You can do this now. Just set the start angle in DesignCentral (90deg is on top, 0deg is on right, etc).

23-Minimize dialog box: Which dialog were you using? Most of the times you want to edit an object, it can be done in DesignCentral without a need for any dialog.

24-Assign shortcuts: Great idea to be able to assign your own shortcut keys, or to even make your own toolbards. There is a way to do it now, though it is not easy. If there is a shortcut you want then send me the request and I will make you a custom workspace that uses the shortcut key.
fwagner View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fwagner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2005 at 6:15am
Quote Buy a MAC then you can create pdf files.

I have a Mac. I'm a dealer, I sell and support both systems, but my office
computer is a mac. If it would be my decision, I would let all of my clients
buy a Mac ;) . But if using the "Save PDF"-Function in the printer dialog or
the Adobe PDF Printer, it is very complicated to save complete artwork in
1:1 scale as soon as the graphic size is larger than the current page size.

Quote 2-Import ICCs: We added support for importing embedded ICC
profiles starting with Flexi 7.6v1.

Yes, I know that, and I'm very happy about this. Thats why I have asked
for vector-graphis too. Currently only bitmaps supported as far as I
know?

Quote 3-Duplicate Setup: I believe you can achieve what you are looking
for by using presets. This is a new feature in PhotoPRINT 4.6 (and FSP 7.6)
that allows you to save all settings in job properties and apply it to any
job in the queue or during adding of a job.

Presets do not solve my "problem". For changing presets, I need to enter
the Job-Properties or setup them in Default Job-Properties. With multiple
Setups there is no need to do that, every job sent on a setup will fit to the
settings. Creating multiple setups is important when installing Printers to
unexperienced clients ;) . But it is not so important, it's just a little bit
more work.

Presets are a very fine idea. I'm very happy as a dealer to have the chance
to save and export complete pre-configurations including printer options
etc. to send it to clients.

Quote Hot folder printing from Flexi: Actually you can do this now. Just
drop a supported file into the C:\Program Files\FlexiSIGN-
PRO\Jobs\[manf]\[model] folder and it will be automatically added to the
RIP queue.

What I have meant was to print using a PS printer driver. Is there a
possibility to "print" Files into pre-defined folders?

Another Suggestion:

I need a possibility to distort baselines of text, but without deforming the
characters itself. And without drawing a line and put the text on the path.
This is needed to match curvatures of car bodies.

Very interesting discussion
designs View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote designs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2005 at 9:51am

I think it would be great if you can make Flexi draw very similar to AutoCAD, I just didn't know it you could do that.

Here is another feature requests that I have.

I would like to see Anti-aliasing as an option.  It is hard to see what the actual sign looks like when all you really can see jagged lines.  How about adding image cropping to the bitmap tools.  And what about some internal shadowing tools.

signguys View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signguys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2005 at 11:50am
with regards to:

Quote:
Buy a MAC then you can create pdf files.

I have a Mac. I'm a dealer, I sell and support both systems, but my office
computer is a mac. If it would be my decision, I would let all of my clients
buy a Mac ;) . But if using the "Save PDF"-Function in the printer dialog or
the Adobe PDF Printer, it is very complicated to save complete artwork in
1:1 scale as soon as the graphic size is larger than the current page size.

I was being facetious. If you are in the sign BUSINESS, you should just
BUY Acrobat and other add ons like Eye Candy, and let the programmers
get the Mac version upto speed.

I am in toal agreement with fwagner about the Duplicate Set Up issue.
NicJim View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NicJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2005 at 2:10pm
My only concern at this point is getting Flexi to print brighter, more vibrant colors. Right now, if colors don't matter as much as speed, I RIP, print and cut from Flexi (7.6v1). If color really matters, especially with Pantone colors, I export from Flexi (my main designing program) into Corel 12, where I assign my colors, RIP thru Raster Link Pro, and cut out of Fine Cut 3 in Corel. It's really a hassle to have to use so many programs, and so far it's the only thing I truly hate about Flexi. I've even worked with someone from Flexi, setting my ICC profiles and settings, and that helped, but compared to what I do now, quite honestly, the colors suck. Fix that, and Flexi may rule the world.

Edited by NicJim
signguys View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signguys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2005 at 11:14am
I've been having color issues from the Mac Version, is this a problem on
the PC?

I've found that, if I save a Flexi file as an eps and add the eps to the rip,
that then the colors seem to have more punch.
NicJim View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NicJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 10:37am
I'm using a PC, so yes, it is a problem!

I've heard that other people within the Signs Now family (which I'm a part of) have had good color results, but I can't do it, for whatever reason.
lokoalex View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lokoalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 3:40pm
I had the same problem. But once I got used to knowing what profiles to use with certain media. I was able to print just fine.
Gardner Signs View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gardner Signs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 10:36am

Here's my requests:

-Save or export PDF. 95% of my customers want proofs in this format. I suppose you'd have to license the rights from Adobe, but hey, it's the accepted fomat for email exchange.  

-Open .pdf/.ai/.eps files correctly and retain text editing capabilities. Depending on the version of of those files you either get text converted to shapes or text that is editable but all over the screen. I know that getting them all to work isn't feesable but perhaps one like Illustrator v10?

-File compression! Implemet an LZW or Zip compression in file saving. Flexi files with bitmaps are enourmous! I can cut their size in half just putting them in a zip folder. Other software makers are miles ahead of flexi in this area.

-Screen Smoothing. Show a customer their file in Illustrator then let them see it in Flexisign. "It isn't all jagged like that is it?" they ask. I don't know the mechanics behind the drawing display methods, I just know that flexi does have an awful "low res" look to it.

That's it. I Love Flexisign, I think it beats Illustrator, Freehand, and Corel into the ground overall.

signguys View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signguys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2005 at 11:16am
Iokolex

I had the same problem. But once I got used to knowing what profiles to
use with certain media. I was able to print just fine.

I'm using Profiles created by PM on my printer.

Gardner,
RE: pdf export
This IS what Adobe sells the full version of Acrobat for.
If you can convince Adobe you are a Output Provider, you can get the full
Creative Suite including Acrobat Pro for MAC AND PC for $500 per year
including ALL updates.

Not even Illustrator opens an Acrobat file and maintains the ability to edit
text, it brakes up the text into pieces.

But YES they need to do something about the file sizes

How about the way Flexi seems to re-write the tiffs & jpegs every time the
document is saved, even though those objects haven't been change in
ANY way since the last Save.

Yes to Screen Smoothing

and yes Flexi does beat those other programs.
lokoalex View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lokoalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2005 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Gardner Signs Gardner Signs wrote:

-Save or export PDF. 95% of my customers want proofs in this format. I suppose you'd have to license the rights from Adobe, but hey, it's the accepted fomat for email exchange.

Im pretty sure they wont have a problem licensing something like that. They already have some type of connection to Adobe. But it would be pretty cool to export in PDF format.

Originally posted by signguy signguy wrote:

I'm using Profiles created by PM on my printer.

What type of printer are you using, and please dont say Mutoh. LOL, just kidding...
Raider View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2005 at 3:04pm
Stop having to go back to the select arrow after you click with it.
signguys View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signguys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 10:02am
Matthew,

In Design Central, how about being able to change which digit is being
affected by the up or down arrow?
Raider View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 5:48pm
How about fractional (decimal) increments on all measurements . When a font has a stroke outline of 1 mm on the display, it could actually be 1.0 mm or 1.25 and still be displayed as 1 mm with no way to find out how truly wide it is. Or am I missing something?
Raider View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 6:42pm
Found a problem. Used a pattern fill, went to the "Advanced" button for sizing and accidentally go one of the sizes to 0. The software pops up a warning window that advises the size must be within a certain range but keeps poping up and won't let me change the measurement from 0. The software needs give user a chance to change the bad setting after the warning.
cdezign View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdezign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 6:06pm
I would like to see profile making simplified. For both the mac and pc. I use a Seiko Colorpainter and profiles make or break the performance of the machine. But profiles are to difficult to produce now.... there has to be a easier way to make them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic