Forum Home Forum Home > Flexi FAMILY > General Flexi FAMILY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feature Request

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Scanvec Amiable Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feature Request
    Posted: 20 May 2005 at 9:20pm
I want to hear from you about what features you would like to see in the future, and what changes you would like to see. We have always been open to suggestions, but now that we have a forum we can use this as a means of requesting changes.

So here it goes, I will start off with my number one request: Improve the Desktop Print dialog box so that you can see a preview and set the scale more easily (such as 1/4in = 1ft without having to type that in each time). This is a feature I miss from Flexi 5.x.

Every request you make will be seriously considered by product management.
fwagner View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fwagner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2005 at 7:13pm
Exporting PDF

Hotfolder Printing for FlexiSIGN-PRO & PhotoPRINT DX too

Importing Input ICC-Profiles for AI, EPS and PDF (Vector-Files) too when loading in Flexi Pro or DX

A possibility to create “setup defaults” so that there will be no need to put in connection data (e. g. IP-Adresses) every time a setup will be added in production manager (is mostly everytime the same) or PhotoPRINT Server. Could be a “duplicate setup”-function too.

An “Align”-Control Panel instead of Submenu-Entries to make it easier to do combined alignments (like in Illustrator)

Integrating Spot Color Mapping Tool from PhotoPRINT Server in FlexiSIGN-PRO too (can be done in production manager or e. g. let creating a spot color mapping swatch with “create swatch”-function).

Thats all for now
sshservices View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshservices Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 9:56am
Matthew,

There a few requests on the FlexiEzine.com forum... Do not have to login to view posts.
signsystems View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 4:35pm
My no1 wish would be transperent gradiants on bitmaps
signguys View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote signguys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:16am
The ability to open fonts on the fly. And I liked a bunch of the others
especially the one about the Print Dialog that you started us off with.

Buy a MAC then you can create pdf files.
But seriously I think you need the full version of Acrobat, Adobe would
probably sue Scanvec's testicles off if they bypassed the need for Acrobat.
matthew View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Scanvec Amiable Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:31pm
Hi Joe, Frank, Bobby, etc,

You have some very good ideas for future improvements. Keep them coming. Some of what was suggested is already available

1-Export PDF: Good one. For now I use Acrobat Professional to make PDFs, but it would be better to have direct export.

2-Import ICCs: We added support for importing embedded ICC profiles starting with Flexi 7.6v1.

3-Duplicate Setup: I believe you can achieve what you are looking for by using presets. This is a new feature in PhotoPRINT 4.6 (and FSP 7.6) that allows you to save all settings in job properties and apply it to any job in the queue or during adding of a job.

4-Align: Good one. I would combine it with the distribute commands as well. For now there is an align toolbar that can be opened up in Flexi to show buttons for each alignment.

5-Spot Color Mapping: Another good suggstion

6-Transparent Gradients: There is a way to do this now, but it takes about 6 steps). We should look at improving it to be more automatic.

7-Fonts on the Fly: I hear this request a lot from Mac users, but not as much from PC.

8-PDF export: There are ways to export PDF files without upsetting Adobe, but the downside is that the PDF files we export directly will be larger in filesize. Acrobat has ways to make the PDF very efficient and that cannot be done with a built in export.

All you lurkers out there don't be shy. Lets hear what suggestions you have.
matthew View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Scanvec Amiable Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 3:33pm
Hello Frank,

I forgot to cover one issue.

Hot folder printing from Flexi: Actually you can do this now. Just drop a supported file into the C:\Program Files\FlexiSIGN-PRO\Jobs\[manf]\[model] folder and it will be automatically added to the RIP queue.
RiXaX View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiXaX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 8:37am
I would very much like to be able to within the program, select a shape and have it broken down into portions of regular shapes where ther are formulas and have the area calculated. There are way too many times when I do this manually. There are palces where I need to scale something up or down to a specific area, say 6 sq. ft., and would love to be able to plug in that number and have the design resized to that while remaining proportional

I also find problems with eps export. Often other programs won't open the Flexi exports.
designs View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote designs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 4:27pm

The ability to distort a font to a given shape.

The ability to add a chisel effect to any font.

Export as a DWG.

Save as a PDF.

I am not sure if you can do this or not in the current software release.  If you can, I have not been able to figure out how too.  We have a 30" Summa with Optical Registration and we order our digital prints from a wholesaler that can put the mark on the print for us. So we don't have a need for FlexiPro or PhotoPrint.  So to be able to cut prints that have registration marks on them with FlexiExpert would be nice.

Have a Plug-In the could attach to AutoCAD or Solidworks.  We use both of these programs to design sign for architectural firms and other types of larger signs.  AutoCAD does great for laying out the sign structure but stinks at manipulating fonts.

draap View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:02pm
Weed lines that can be placed through the middle of the line of text. We saw this demonstrated at a sign show with another sign program it worked slick. The weed lines were placed the same way that a guide line is placed in Flexi, the inside of the a o d ect. were not cut with the extra weed line only outside of the letters are cut with the weed line.
jcuminale View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcuminale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:58am
first and foremost, work a lot harder to get both mac and pc updates out
at the same time (not a 2.5 year lag on the mac side).... am i the only one
running both platforms??? Also, try to have the same features in both
releases, particularly those that are most necessary such as the keyboard
shortcut to advance to any given letter in the font dialoge box in design
central (available only on pc currently...previously available on older mac
version...SHAME ON YOU!) And again on the mac side, the bezier trace
feature is missing. The ability to save custom distortions would be nice
like the ability to save borders. Thats all i have for now but have thought
of many others on the fly.
matthew View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Scanvec Amiable Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 9:29am
Some comments I have on new requests:

9-Area of objects: I like the idea of having it show the area (and even perimeter) of the selected object, but can you explain why it would be useful to scale an object by area?

10-EPS export: Can you send me a file that won't import into another application (send the FS and EPS files and let me know what application won't open it). This seems like a bug and we can look into it right away.

11-Custom Distortion: Good suggestion to be able to distort inside any drawn object.

12-Chisel Effect: For printing, you can use "Eyecandy" to do this now. It is tricky to do it for vectors for cutting.

13-DWG export: I am not sure how useful this is. We do have DXF export and all CAD programs I am aware of support it.

14-PDF export: This is a duplicate request to request 1.

15-Contour Cut marks: There is no way to do this automatically now. You would need to draw the OPOS rectangles manually. It is a good idea to have a tool that automatically draws these marks for any contour cutter.

16-AutoCad plugin: Do you mean a plug in for cutting, or what else would the plug in need to do?

17-Weedlines: We do have automatic horizontal and vertical weedlines, but no way to manually place them (they automatically place between lines of text currently). It seems it would be harder to weed if the border of each letter was split. I much prefer it to be below and above the text.

18-Timely Mac release: The lag time in the past was too long, but it has been greatly reduced. In the future, our goal will be to have concurrent releases.

19-Bezier trace on Mac: This is a tought one. That style tracing was from "Inspire" which was for Windows only. We added it to PC to help ease the transition for Casmate and Inspire users.

20-Font scrolling on Mac: I thought we had this, but if not will make sure we do in the future.
matthew View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Scanvec Amiable Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 9:57am
My turn for another suggestion (it is not really mine, someone else suggested it in another post on this forum)

21-Have option to always use "Document Path" set in preferences: Currently, it uses that path for the first time, but then uses the path that was last browsed to.
designs View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote designs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 4:17pm

As far as a plug-in for AutoCAD goes, It would be nice to do all the text features that Flexi does great in AutoCAD.  In AutoCAD it is very easy to draw line, arcs, fillets, chamfers, offset, and copy over a selected distance.  I just love the ease of use in drawing simple lines and shapes using their command line interface.  I think it would be nice if more programs had such a simple interface verses having all of these Icons and drop down menus.  I find it easier to draw the detailed sign structure in AutoCAD and use Flexi for the designing the text, complex curves, and send to the vinyl plotter.  But having to import and export all of the time to transfer the files back and forth is a pain. Maybe just have a simple file transfer plug-in for AutoCAD that allows it to open and save native Flexi Files.  There is a similar plug-in for AutoCAD that allows users to open and save native SolidWorks files.  I think something that would kind of merge the two programs would be helpful for those that create large sign structure that need engineering blueprints to manufacture.  I know this is asking a lot but it is an feature that I would find handy.  There probable isn't enough demand for such a plug-in to make it worth your time to create.

One other feature that would be nice is to be able to save layers in the dxf file.

I think you need to add a way to center the text of a arc text command to the top, botom, left, or right of the circle.

Edited by designs
jcuminale View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcuminale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 4:13pm
i've got another once but now gone mac feature....zipping/minimizing/
whatever you want to call it a dialogue box rather than having to close it
to work around it. and as long as the path thing has been brought up,
how about being able to choose different offsets for multiple countours/
outlines
RiXaX View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiXaX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 8:40am
There are hamlets where I provide signs with strict size regulations. If I have an oval and provide the actual area they accept it and otherwise draw a rectangle around it where the customer ends up with a considerably smaller sign. Often signs might be a triangle behind an oval and I can take the time to do the math, but might need to enlarge it in small increments to get it to the legal maximum footage.

Another instance that came up recently involved a permit to apply names for businesses in a mall to exterior walls. I needed to calculate the area for each name, add them all up and find that I needed to go one inch smaller on all the letter heights.

If in design central when I select a line of text and it provides the height and length, it could also provide the area, this would be helpful to me. I really like the percentage feature I find with Ctrl/K.

Another feature that I miss from Casmate was the ability to assign my own keystrokes as shortcuts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic