SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

routing offset - fine tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triangleMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: routing offset - fine tool
    Posted: 18 December 2013 at 8:24am
Am I mistaken or does this feature not work properly in 5.1? If a fine tool for a routing offset is used in conjunction with an inlay setting, the resulting toolpath looks like a cleaning pass with a width of "0" instead of a fine tool. Thoughts?
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 8:11am
I'm not sure about this but when I output why do I always have to change the order of the tools so the clean or fine tool doesnt go first?
If it's designated as a clean pass why would it be used first?
This can be especially problematic when you're taking multiple passes with a rough tool and then cleaning the edge in one pass with a fine tool. It can be rough on 1/8" tools trying to cut through 1/2" acrylc.
triangleMD View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triangleMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 1:37pm
It's interesting how selective responses can be from SAi regarding various topics. Can anyone confirm whether or not EnRoute 6 is capable of a router offset with a fine tool AND an inlay gap?
PlastecProfiles11 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 5:08pm
The output doesn't "know" that it is a clean pass it simply puts all the tools in the same category if you will and sends them to cut in the order you tell it. You will get on to it, I am sure of it.
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triangleMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:01am
@N Sign... It's difficult to tweak settings for all needs. If you typically "rough" cut with a larger diameter tool and "clean" with a smaller diameter tool you may consider changing your preferences under PREFERENCES - > ORDERING -> TOOL ORDER. You should be able to configure it so that larger diameter tools default as a higher priority.
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:14am
Originally posted by PlastecProfiles11 PlastecProfiles11 wrote:

The output doesn't "know" that it is a clean pass it simply puts all the tools in the same category if you will and sends them to cut in the order you tell it. You will get on to it, I am sure of it.

Originally posted by triangleMD triangleMD wrote:

@N Sign... It's difficult to tweak settings for all needs. If you typically "rough" cut with a larger diameter tool and "clean" with a smaller diameter tool you may consider changing your preferences under PREFERENCES - > ORDERING -> TOOL ORDER. You should be able to configure it so that larger diameter tools default as a higher priority.

Oh, that's what I do. Every time. It just doesn't seem practical that the order starts with the finer tools.
There's no way to save "start with the larger tools and work your way down." or since the program created the tool paths, and parts of the path are designated "clean" or "fine" it could order them as such.
Another annoyance/ puzzling thing is it always wants to drill last, and have the offset first. I can think of no instance where I want to cut out a piece before drilling or engraving or anything. Offset could be last and drilling first, always. It's the direct opposite.
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to see there's a little action here. (very little) do people generally go to CNC zone instead?
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triangleMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:55am
I would suggest taking another look at your preferences. I failed to mention in my previous post that I meant the PREFERENCES option under the SETUP menu. There, you should be able to change your defaults. For example, in the ORDERING tab you can change the STRATEGY ORDER to always use a drill function before a router offset.
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 1:23pm
Oh I see, that helps a lot! I had seen that but wasnt sure what to do with it because it was empty. I added about 12 and put them in order but it's cumbersome. It woule be nice it all the tools were listed and could be dragged and dropped and the size of the windows could be expanded.
I did put the important ones like drills at the top and the 1/8" ones at the bottom that should help. Thanks, no wonder you're an expert. Wait, it says I'm an 'expert' too.
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2016 at 9:42am
Under the Setup menu and preferences is where you would setup your default settings for how you want your ordering for default output by default. 

Best regards,
Aaron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic