SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*DONEK* CNC Drag Knife

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedvyned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *DONEK* CNC Drag Knife
    Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:10am
Just wonder if any member use or hear about this tool
called *DONEK* CNC drag knife?
www.donektools.com
Apparently it can be used in your existing CNC router, with
spindle off. Unfortunately EnRoute still does not have tool
paths to create square corners. Will be nice if EnRoute add
a plug -inn or add on to create knife toolpath like
*SheetCAM or Vectric*

I will appreciate your comments and opinions
Richard Terry View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 4:00pm
This looks like an interesting plugn. i have never worked
with a drag knife before but this makes me want to give it
a try.

It would be good if it could plug in to Enroute.
Stewey View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 5:43am
I made a plotter blade holder for our router. That's a dragknife, but it clamps on beside the spindle, not in the chuck of the spindle.

I use it to cut through the plastic protection sheet of aluminium-composite sheeting etc, to paint the substrate, then peel the rest off, and you have a quick painted sign.

But yes, the corners are not square. That does not bother me on an 8 x 4 ft sheet.
I did try and use the engrave toolpath, and told it to follow the perimeters (instead of as a 3d engrave), but for some reason it would not drop the blade sufficiently.

I worked around that by defining a tool in the tool library which is an emdmill of 1/64" diameter, and I just use the standard offset toolpath, but I use the blade instead.

The driver software for the router offers me a chance to select Tool 1 or Tool 2. Tool 2 is the spindle, and tool 1 is the plotter blade which is offset -132 mm  in X, and has a Z height of 105mm.

When I specify tool1, the paths behave just the way I need them to.
You could go really fast, but I find  a slowish speed of about 40mm per second works well when cutting the cover sheet.

I also use the 'overlap start and end path points' option by 5 mm in the edit tool settings menu.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic