SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tapping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwoggler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tapping
    Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 22 December 2015 at 6:37pm
Does anyone have any knowledge of the tapping feature in the drill settings? I do a lot of aluminum and acrylic letters that I drill mounting holes in for tapping, I then tap the holes on an auto tapper and use threaded studs for installing. I typically do a "drill centers" strategy, and when you go to the cut definition box there is a menu at the bottom called "tapping", and when you expand it, it has setting for "Tap threads?, Thread Pitch and Thread units", I can't find any information on it in either the user manual or the help menu, I was hoping it would allow Enroute to use a "thread milling" feature such as this-
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/thread-milling-on-a-tiny-scale
But when I tried experimenting with different settings all it does is plunge straight down like a normal drill cut!? Can anyone shed some light on what the heck this feature is supposed to do?
Thanks
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 23 December 2015 at 10:50am
It plunges straight down spinning?I do drill to x diameter then tap by hand. I havent experemented physically but in the program it changes the rotation based on the plunge speed and the thread, right? It would be nice to pick up a tap for the machine and check it out. I guessI copuld just call another tool a tap and see whaat it does.
pwoggler View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwoggler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 23 December 2015 at 11:00am
Hi, yes it just acts like a regular drill plunge, I'm thinking it must be for an auto tapper attachment, what I was wanting was the ability to do the thread milling like in the video I linked to. It takes a special bit made for that purpose.
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 28 December 2015 at 7:00am
Oh I see. I hadnt seen the video. I didnt know of a tap with a narrower diameter than the final diameter to use with the work piece oscillating, I have never seen that. Do you want to use that kind of tap for better chip evacuation?
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 7:24am
oh to answer; "Can anyone shed some light on what the heck this feature is supposed to do?"
I believe (let's use 3/16 as the example since your are doing acrylic letters)you cut your holes to .149" diameter with the 1/8" tool to .3" depth (for 1/2" acrylic. Put in the traditional style 3/16" tap run a toolpath. Toolpath>drill centers>pick the tap> using that, select tapping, pick a rotation and thread pitch, and based on the threads it will figure out the plunge speed.
Just now I couldn't figure it back out. You have to enter values in certain fields forthe other numbert to appear. I couldnt get it to work until i put in rotation, then the other numbers changed based on that. F'n Enroute is like that sometimes. can't do it by plunge speed and determine the rotation, has to have the rotation to create plunge speed. It would be nice if it worked entering either since its a simple equasion. and you have 2 of the 3 values.
PlastecProfiles11 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 05 January 2016 at 10:09pm
It probably is possible to have it run either way
But most likely it would be easier to decide on spindle speed rather than actual plunge speed.
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
jessegreen View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessegreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 07 January 2016 at 11:02am
There is a threadmilling module under the same flyout menu that the box wizard is under.  You need to use a threadmill tool, not a normal tap, it makes a helical toolpath that goes down into the material.  I bought a couple threadmill tools but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:07am
I just realized, you'd have to use a thread mill because the spindle won't rotate in reverse to back the tap out of the material.
(Right?)
jessegreen View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessegreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 22 February 2016 at 8:43am
Depends on the spindle.  The HSD spindles we have are technically reversible, though I don't know what you would do with that other than tap.
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Posted: 18 July 2016 at 2:38pm
How did this work out?
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Posted: 18 July 2016 at 2:40pm
What ones did you get and how did they work? I would like to order some and start tapping by machine rather than by hand.
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Posted: 18 July 2016 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by pwoggler pwoggler wrote:

Does anyone have any knowledge of the tapping feature in the drill settings? I do a lot of aluminum and acrylic letters that I drill mounting holes in for tapping, I then tap the holes on an auto tapper and use threaded studs for installing. I typically do a "drill centers" strategy, and when you go to the cut definition box there is a menu at the bottom called "tapping", and when you expand it, it has setting for "Tap threads?, Thread Pitch and Thread units", I can't find any information on it in either the user manual or the help menu, I was hoping it would allow Enroute to use a "thread milling" feature such as this-
http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/thread-milling-on-a-tiny-scale
But when I tried experimenting with different settings all it does is plunge straight down like a normal drill cut!? Can anyone shed some light on what the heck this feature is supposed to do?
Thanks

Originally posted by jessegreen jessegreen wrote:

There is a threadmilling module under the same flyout menu that the box wizard is under.  You need to use a threadmill tool, not a normal tap, it makes a helical toolpath that goes down into the material.  I bought a couple threadmill tools but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Those last 2 posts were replies to these posts. I hit "reply" not "quote"
By the way, the "edit post" function does not work.
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 3:14pm
Can someone help me out? I've got a thread mill for 3/16" (10-24) threads. I've got holes drilles at .15" wide and .5" deep.
All I want to do is have the thread mill spiral it's way down to the bottom of the hole cutting threads into the side so I can screw a little 3/16" threaded rod into the hole!
I've got the thread pitch wizard open and it's drawing me a bolt head, I could get it to plunge and make a circle at the bottom of the hole. Now I can't even do that- I try to offset open contout and it just turns the spiral looking path to a pink circle!
Under Drill>Centers, I pick "TAPPING" and it wants to plunge at 300 mph!
ANYONE?
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 07 March 2017 at 10:29am
N Sign,
 The Thread pitch wizard does not produce a closed contour, its intended to create a open contour that you can apply a tool path too. 
In the dill centers have you checked your feed rate values? Are they inches per min or inches per second.
Have you checked your driver units? Are they set to what the machine is expecting?

Typically if there is an issue with speed there is usually a missmatch between with the units your machine is expecting and the units your sending. 

Best Regards,
Aaron
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 11:57am
I know, I'm looking for a helix to the bottom of the drilled hole. I try to Offset open contour- left, right- middle, Ive tried to engrave to follow it down also.
My values are inches per min, nothing has changed there, everythign is what it should be.

In DRILL CENTERS> TAPPING, The plunge value being so high is a function of the rpms being high I found out. even 1000 is high because that function is meant to be used with a low rpm optional tapping motor with a regular tap that will back out after reaching the bottom of the hole. Not for use with a thread mill. Is this correct?
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 09 March 2017 at 5:48pm
N Sign,
Yes you are correct. You have to use very low speed settings. The Thread pitch wizzard gives you that spiral down that you are looking for. If you don't want the bolt head just delete it after you apply. All you need is the spiral and then apply a engrave toolpath to it. 

Best Regards,
Aaron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic