SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tapping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 10 March 2017 at 11:16am
ok, engrave, not open contour offset. That clears that up. That's what I thought but wasn't sure.
N Sign View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 23 March 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by paloalto_17 paloalto_17 wrote:

N Sign,
Yes you are correct. You have to use very low speed settings. The Thread pitch wizzard gives you that spiral down that you are looking for. If you don't want the bolt head just delete it after you apply. All you need is the spiral and then apply a engrave toolpath to it. 

Best Regards,
Aaron
O

Ok, I've got the holes driled to a depth of.55" at .15" wide (for 3/16 thread, 10-24)

I selected one hole to start on, to practice with. I've opend the Thread pitch wizard under the box making fly out menu.

Now this may seem like a stupid question but: How do I make it thread the selected hole? I can put in x,y coordinates but I don't know where that hole is. What if I have 200 holes to tap?
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 23 March 2017 at 4:33pm
The thread pitch wizard only allows you to do one at a time. If you are doing a lot of holes of the same size you would just need to duplicate them. 
A more automated way would be to use the Drill centers and then use the tapping feature. 

Best regards,
Aaron
N Sign View Drop Down
Master
Master

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 7:47am
Originally posted by paloalto_17 paloalto_17 wrote:

The thread pitch wizard only allows you to do one at a time. If you are doing a lot of holes of the same size you would just need to duplicate them. 
A more automated way would be to use the Drill centers and then use the tapping feature. 

Best regards,
Aaron

But I thought that method wouldn't work for me with out a low speed motor with a regular tap that can reverse out of the hole.

I'm trying to use a thread mill. I thought the only way to use that tool was the thread pitch wizzard.

Even if I select one hole to tap, the wizard wants a location, it won't apply the corkscrew tool path to the selected object.
So if I do figure this out and can apply it to the circle, I have to select each hole individually and apply the wizard to it then apply a toolpath to it also? that could take a long time if I'm cutting out a full sheet of acrylic letters with a few holes each. I guess I could apply the toolpaths to all the corkscrews at once but still.
Maybe I'm not getting it still. At this point is seems like a better option to put an standard bottom tap in a drill and tap all the holes while on the table before cutting the shapes out.
N Sign View Drop Down
Master
Master

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:15pm
So I got the thread pitch wizard to work and can tap holes! Thanks for all the help by the way but I figured it out on my own. I dont know what I did, because I think I was doing the same thing as before but this time the line came out correct. I engraved with the thread mill (in the library as an end mill) and am cutting threads.
I'm still trying to figure out how to apply the feature to a selected vector (like the 100's of circles that represent the holes I've drilled.) Right now I'm copy and pasting and dragging them over to the hole with the aid of the Snap to Center of Contour selected.
There has to be a way to do that and to set the height of the lift out of the material. I've done Edit Points and moved the point as a work around.
N Sign View Drop Down
Master
Master

Posted: 29 August 2017 at 10:23am
So I havent found a better way to get the tapping toolpath where I need it than to copy and paste and drag them over to the hole with 'Snap to Center of Contour' selected.
But more importantly, is anyone tapping ALUMINUM? I've now tapped 1000s of holes in acrylic with no problem but tried alu for the first time today. broke the tool on the first hole, didnt even make one trip around the hole. I got out my brand new back up thread mill and slowed down the feed, upped the rpm, changed to climb so it would plunge and pull out cutting the helix, did 5 holes, thought to myself: "great, problem solved", then I didn't hear it cutting threads anymore and I saw the tip sticking out of one of the last holes.
SO, what is everyone else doing?
What tool do you use and how fast?

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic