SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Shoulder" option in 'widths'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Shoulder" option in 'widths'
    Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 11 January 2016 at 7:35am
Hi, I'm feeling a bit dumb, but I've been reading the instruction book, and came across the 'shoulder' option in widths of cut, when setting the parameters in Cut Definitions.

Although I've read the instruction book, I cannot make out what 'shoulder'  does or why you'd want to use it. (hence my comment about feeling dumb.)

I've used Enroute for about 7 years, so don't consider myself to be a novice, but I do feel that some things in the book are pretty poorly explained. They may say technically what the item does, but don't give much of a  practical purpose explanation in basic english... Trial and error has possibly taught me more than the book has been able to explain, when it has come to  some nitty-gritty stuff.

I've had to rewrite my own explanations to many things in the book, beside the printed explanations, so if I look it up again, I'll know what it means or how it's done.

If someone can help me understand what 'shoulder' is actually used for, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks  :)
PlastecProfiles11 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 11 January 2016 at 9:38am
I rhink rhat is to put a shoulder around the outside of your cut like if you are making an inlay.
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
Stewey View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 11 January 2016 at 11:55pm
Thanks, but inlays I can understand and use.
Rebates, I use, but  shoulder - I'm still wondering where or why there might be a difference.
Or is it for rebating the back side of acrylic to make a letter to sit in a smaller inlay gap, or something?

paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 12 January 2016 at 10:35am
PlastecProfiles,
 Yes you are correct. Its for putting a shoulder on your cuts for Inlays or push thru letters. 

Best regards,
Aaron
pwoggler View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwoggler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 12 January 2016 at 7:04pm
It's counter intuitive or ass backwards depending on how you look at it! You set your rough pass shallower than your clean pass, you turn on the shoulder feature in your clean pass, for instance, using a .25" bit set your rough pass to .5" and your clean pass to .4" with width of cut at .125" and "shoulder" checked, this will cause Enroute to leave a .1" flange on the letter or part, works well for doing push throughs.
Hope this helps.
Stewey View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 14 January 2016 at 7:27am
Hmmm...
I'd have to fiddle with it to see if I trusted the software...

I do what I call a rebate on so-called push throughs.
I rout the rebate offset from an inline 3-4mm inside the letter perimeter, and 3-4mm deep - routing the letters upside-down, or face down, and checking 'inlay'.
I then rout the perimeter of the letters full depth.
Then rout the holes in the sign face, based on an inlay function, based on the inline chosen above.

You get no light leaking through the sides., and a good area to glue down.

But I'm still feeling dumb in understanding 'shoulder'
And I can't say I've ever done rough and clean passes, not used 'width of cut - I do the items that need cutting, as and where they need it.  I have not been able to figure why you want to run a path twice, in all the  thousands of hours I've worked the machine.

Maybe old habits die hard - or maybe I'm a bit dumb as I said. Thanks for trying to explain it.
The book doesn't really make it clear...
Stewey View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Posted: 13 March 2016 at 3:32am
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I managed to ruin three pieces of acrylic, and end up with no 'shoulder' to speak of... Just letters full depth too skinny to use.

I thought maybe it might help with the latest 2 batches of rebated push-through type letters, but I'll repeat my initial thought that the ER instructions explaining the idea are woeful.

I'll go back to doing it the way I always did it : manually inlining the vectors the required amount (1/8") , then doing a male offset path with Inlay selected, and setting that 1/8" deep.
You then have to en;large that path half the width, and run  iti again, to trim off any tits or islands that might get skipped.
Then cut the perimeter of the letters full depth.

At least it works for me...  :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic