SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EnRoute Toolpath editing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragoonxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EnRoute Toolpath editing
    Software: OtherEnRoute 4.2  Level:
    Posted: 15 January 2016 at 11:52am
I've been working on updating some toolpaths in EnRoute 4, and lately i've been encountering something very strange. I'll attempt to describe the issue, feel free to ask for clarification.

I'll click on a toolpath (either an island fill, or a router offset- which are the two main toolpaths I work with) and it will occasionally have the "outside" (selected contour (CCW) in preferences) tagged as the  "inside" (or Selected contour (CW) as it's called in the preferences).

Deleting the object and undoing, or saving, closing, and re-opening seems to at least temporarily fix the issue, but it's frustrating. 

I've also attached a picture, which hopefully shows the issue- there is nothing else selected at this time.
toolpathing colour is selected contour (CCW) blue ("outside"), selected contour (CW) red ("inside")
Stewey View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnRoute 4.2  Level:
    Posted: 15 January 2016 at 7:34pm
Not sure if I understand your question - but have you got 'male' or 'female' paths checked occasionally the wrong  way round?

Usually if you've been toolpathing Male or outside, then that comes up by default.
If you want 'Female' or the holes filled instead of the background, then you'll havce to select 'female'.

Occasionally, instead of checking that. I'll put an external offset contour around the whole shape, which makes positives become holes etc, and changes all males spaces to females because of the extra boundary at the outer edge.
This of course is the case when you 'select all', rather than selecting specific elements to apply paths to.

(hope that helps)
PlastecProfiles11 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnRoute 4.2  Level:
    Posted: 16 January 2016 at 9:05am
Does it toolpath the parts wrong. If it doesn't I would not worry about it. If it does try to find a way to reproduce the problem.
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
dragoonxx View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragoonxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnRoute 4.2  Level:
    Posted: 18 January 2016 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Stewey Stewey wrote:

Not sure if I understand your question - but have you got 'male' or 'female' paths checked occasionally the wrong  way round?

Usually if you've been toolpathing Male or outside, then that comes up by default.
If you want 'Female' or the holes filled instead of the background, then you'll havce to select 'female'.

Occasionally, instead of checking that. I'll put an external offset contour around the whole shape, which makes positives become holes etc, and changes all males spaces to females because of the extra boundary at the outer edge.
This of course is the case when you 'select all', rather than selecting specific elements to apply paths to.

(hope that helps)

it doesn't just do it with router offsets, it does it with islands (as the picture i had attached shows)- which, if i need to change any of the tooling parameters- it's been flipping it around. 

and re: PlastecProfiles
yes, it has been applying incorrect toolpaths (again, in attached example, had i not noticed it- it would have put an island fill around everything BUT what it was supposed to- which in itself tends to crash EnRoute, because it's now convinced it's got to put an island fill on the entire plate.
and reproducing the problem is at random- sometimes i can edit an entire program without issue, next time i edit one toolpath fine, and then every path after that is reversed.
dragoonxx View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragoonxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnRoute 4.2  Level:
    Posted: 18 January 2016 at 10:27am
I fired EnRoute back up this morning, started working on updating tool paths on another program. Selected an Island fill- it has no internal boundaries, updated it's path, and then selected the next path to update (it's using a different tool), and it's thinking that the next item i selected is an internal boundary- and if i had went to update the path, it would have treated it like it was an internal boundary and tried to island fill the entire plate.
Stewey View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnRoute 4.2  Level:
    Posted: 19 January 2016 at 11:29pm
Have you accidentally cut & pasted some elements on top of themselves?
Perhaps it's seeing them as being slightly inside themselves, where you can't see the difference, and so is making males path areas into females?

dragoonxx View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Posted: 20 January 2016 at 1:12pm
I had thought that initially too, deleted an element, no copy existed under it, then undo the element delete- and the orientation is normal again. 
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnRoute 4.2  Level:
    Posted: 22 January 2016 at 10:18am
Another thing to remember too about Enroute is that if you have to select multiple items to create a tool path, then you later need to edit it. You will find that if you just right click on it and edit the tool path it will not create the tool path correctly. When You have several things you need to select to create a tool path you have to delete it and start over, because when you edit a tool path Enroute does not remember what items you had selected when you click edit. 

So if your doing a simple routing offset on a closed contour editing the tool path is not a problem.

Best regards,
Aaron
dragoonxx View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Posted: 22 January 2016 at 10:22am
Originally posted by paloalto_17 paloalto_17 wrote:

Another thing to remember too about Enroute is that if you have to select multiple items to create a tool path, then you later need to edit it. You will find that if you just right click on it and edit the tool path it will not create the tool path correctly. When You have several things you need to select to create a tool path you have to delete it and start over, because when you edit a tool path Enroute does not remember what items you had selected when you click edit. 

So if your doing a simple routing offset on a closed contour editing the tool path is not a problem.

Best regards,
Aaron

I've never had the "enroute doesn't remember the toolpath" issue that you describe, excepting when i've selected toolpaths using multiple tools.

90% of the toolpaths I work with are closed contours, excepting the occasional engrave.
PlastecProfiles11 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnRoute 4.2  Level:
    Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:28am
I have started seeing this too. It seems as though if I unselect and reselect it helps.
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
dragoonxx View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 10:03am
Originally posted by PlastecProfiles11 PlastecProfiles11 wrote:

I have started seeing this too. It seems as though if I unselect and reselect it helps.

deselect-reselect doesnt work for me, the only thing that's consistently worked for me was to delete, then undo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic