SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parametric Programming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbcundiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parametric Programming
    Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 24 February 2016 at 8:25am
I'm coming from a background in Woodwop4.0/4.5 + Vcarve into a company which uses Enroute5 for programming a ShopSabre. In the past I had set up a library of cabinet parts which were adjustable according to a list of variables in Woodwop. Is there any way to do something similar in Enroute5?
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 24 February 2016 at 5:35pm
wbcundiff,
 If you need to edit, change, add or remove tools from the Enroute tool Library you can go to the setup menu and click on tool library. There you can edit your tools. 

Best regards,
Aaron
wbcundiff View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbcundiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 24 February 2016 at 6:18pm
Thanks for the reply Aaron. Its less about managing tools and more about adjusting toolpaths semi-automatically. For instance if I can express the location of a groove as relative to the edge of the part rather than an absolute value, then it will always be in the right place when I change the size of the part.
Stewey View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 25 February 2016 at 5:23am
The paths adjust automatically, relative to the vector boundaries, and the tool  or cutter geometry.
PlastecProfiles11 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 25 February 2016 at 10:05am
I have a coworker that has the same problem that there is a solution. Unless the boxter wizard would work. Did you try it? I don't use it much myself but it looks like its at least similar.
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 07 March 2016 at 11:37am
So when you cut a rectangle for instance, no matter what size the rectangle is, you want a groove 2" from the left edge. If its a 4" rectangle its in the center. If it's a 12" rectangle it's 2" from the left edge.
Is that what you want to do?

(I dont have an answer, I just want to make sure I understand what you need)
paulnevinthomas View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulnevinthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 05 April 2016 at 8:58am
    Parametric programming is a type of mathematical optimization, where the optimization problem is solved as a function of one or multiple parameters. Developed in parallel to sensitivity analysis, its earliest mention can be found in a thesis from 1952.
PlastecProfiles11 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 05 April 2016 at 10:24am
Paul I am afraid that is about developing software.
This is about drawing with Cad Software.
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
Jason_Scott View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason_Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 07 June 2016 at 4:00am
A better way to explain parametric CNC programming.

If I want to draw say a rectangle that is 100 mm wide an 75 mm tall.
point 1 = 0,0
line to point 2
point 2 = 100,0
line to point 3
point 3 = 100,75
line point 4
point 4 = 0,75
line to point 1

Parametric 
rectangle is x wide and y high
(shortened Version)
point 1 = 0,0
point 2 = x,0
point 3 = x,y
point 4 = 0,y

This is a very basic version of what you can do with parametrics.

For example I can define a part that has grooves for say shelf dividers every 3" and no matter what size it is the grooves will be right.  

Also you can define a point based on a formula. I program a biesse so the part size is defined as LPX by LPY 
The other day I needed to cut a series of grooves for drawer dividers.  They were 12mm wide grooves so my program for 3 grooves looked something like this.  The starting corner of the rectangle for the groove is defined as starting point.  (This is not how the code actually looks just the formulas to define the points that I used)

start x= lpx/4-6, 
y=-4 

Rectangle= 12mm wide and lpy+8 tall

no of repeats=4

Repeat spacing=lpx/4

woodcraftmark View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodcraftmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute5  Level:
    Posted: 19 July 2016 at 12:42pm
I've used EnRoute for a few years now and just started using WoodWop4.5.  I know what you are talking about with the parametric feature.  For others, it is a way to create an item or object and just fill in a few values.  Calculations take care of the specific parts.  You can create formulas that will give the different sizes of parts/sides/etc.  For example, the guy who trained me had a basic cabinet.  There was an area to enter the height, width, and depth of the cabinet.  Then the calculations/formulas would figure out how big a side needed to be, how big the top needed to be, where the holes for shelf pins needed to be (even how many).  If you are good with math and formulas, this isn't hard.  
The closest thing EnRoute has to that is the Boxster Wizard.  You can then set up an ATP (automatic Tool Path) for the various layers it creates.  Of course if you are creating your own custom parts, this won't be helpful.  I usually use CAD to create my parts.  Then I can stretch or scale as needed for the new project.  One of the things I really like about EnRoute over WoodWop is being able to ramp into and out of parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic