SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parabolic Dish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parabolic Dish
    Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 11 March 2016 at 7:35pm
I have a project that requires milling a shallow parabolic "dish" in Corian. I have minimal experience with surface contour cutting and could use some advice on how to create this 3D shape. Ive produced the curve with a PLINE script in auto cad and imported the PLINE into Enroute. I assume I'll need to rotate it around its origin but so far haven't been able to do that. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

jessegreen View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessegreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 13 March 2016 at 12:54pm
Use 'Revolve' to create a mesh of your dish and then apply it to a cylinderical relief with the subtract applicatiion method selected.
Quibble View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quibble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 13 March 2016 at 6:10pm
Thanks Jesse. I will try that again. Its where I started but I could not revolve the line. Not sure why though I have found that sometimes .dxf PLines are corrupted upon import. Still learning my way around EnRoute so I'm not really sure whats happening there. I'll try again after looking closer at the line I created. I used quite a few points and I suppose a segment may have dropped out.

I had another idea of how to accomplish this project though it seems like taking the long way around: create a series of concentric circles at close intervals and tool path them individually- routing offset/female working from the largest diameter towards the center. I can tabulate the z values according to circle radius in excel and enter them individually which is, more or less, what I had to do to create the curve in ACad anyway.

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

richmad View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute 5  Level:
    Posted: 16 March 2016 at 9:32am
To use revolve be sure to create a flat surface first then place you parabolic line shape and revolve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic