SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

better nesting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: better nesting
    Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 14 August 2016 at 7:47pm
Hello,
I've only just discovered this forum. I had a read thru on Friday and it was quite interesting.

Has anyone got much success with using "offcuts" from previous patterns to nest parts into? I know Enroute does do much, But I thought people might have made their own solutions.

Plasterprofiles, I see you got some access with VB...good for you.
I managed to get my fingers in there with VBA for Excel. The stuff is exposed if you go to the VBA editor (alt-f11 in excel) "tools-references" and tick the enroute options...then the object browser lets you see some stuff, and you can control enroute a bit from VBA...I could add entities and change layers, but couldn't feed information into the ATP nesting dialog....I didn't find it that useful, it was better to simply "post-process" the cnc programs output, they are only text files...

I'm considering writing code to postprocess the cnc-programs to cut the largest possible rectangle (since ATP will only take rectangles) from the offcut, and record that as a board size....of course, enroute doesn't give me options for a range of stock material sizes...anyone made any progress along these lines? I've considered using "autohotkey" to feed the ATP dialog the stock sizes, but thats going to be a massive pain-in-the-neck, because I'll have to deduct the parts nested from one "odd sized sheet" out of the list of all the parts to be nested.

Has anyone had a good look at this:
http://svgnest.com/

open source, concave polygon nesting...does not generate Gcode...but you can nest into irregular shapes...and the source code is there for all to see....not my favorite optimisation algorithm, but hey, better than I can write and it's free and open source...it's funny how one dude (and a young chap at that) can write code to nest into irregular shapes, but we have not got that feature...

Love to hear what other people have done or learnt.

Regards,

PlastecProfiles11 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 15 August 2016 at 8:09am
So you can access the Enroute type library from excel VBA? Impressive!!
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlastecProfiles11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 16 August 2016 at 7:55am
Just curious understand how the algorithm works? I haven't had much time to figure it out but I would like to.
Learn to automate Enroute by seeing an example at https://github.com/PlastecProfiles/EnrouteAddin
smitha View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 18 August 2016 at 10:53pm
Hey PlastecProfile11,

the alogrithm?

the dude who wrote it sorta explains it at his github site:
https://github.com/Jack000/SVGnest

He explains the placement of parts (no-fit-polygon algorithm) and then the optimisation (genetic algorithm).....he built (and made available) a great bit of code, better than I could do (I had a try, I got no-fit-polygon working, but couldn't optimise better)....but I don't think the Genetic algorithm is a good choice for 2d-nesting...

The "gene" is the order that parts are placed, and their rotation...

an example gene:
Part43, Part43 rotate 90, Part 62, Part62 rotate 270, etc etc for every part

The "fitness" of the "gene" is calculated by the number of sheets or how much area is used...

and the algorithm "combines" or crosses these "genes" from 2 "Parents" which have high "fitness".

You can see the code in chrome by running his demo from:
http://svgnest.com/

and pressing Ctrl-shift-j to get the debug console.

Regards,
AS
smitha View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 19 August 2016 at 1:11am
Oh, yeah,
here is a screenshot of the enroute stuff from the VBA editor of Excel...

you can see methods and properties of various stuff...But I couldn't find the ATP stuff...

Regards,
AS

smitha View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Posted: 19 August 2016 at 1:13am
Master
Master

Posted: 22 August 2016 at 8:16am
thanks!
jessegreen View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessegreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 26 August 2016 at 1:17pm
There's a way to do what I think you're trying to do built into Enroute.  When you use the nesting module in Enroute there is a checkbox for 'create remnant' This will generate a vector defining the open space left on the sheet which you can then copy to a new layer and, with the remnant vector moved to 0,0 and selected use the Machining>Plate from Contour to define a new plate shape that matches your remnant.  
smitha View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Posted: 01 September 2016 at 11:01pm
Jessegreen,
I think you are correct...

I'm driving Enroute 4 which doesn't have "create remnant"....I google and saw it for Enroute 5...

I asked at a stand at the Australian Woodworking show, where they sell enroute...and specifically told them what I needed, and asked what features newer versions had, and if they could do it. When they told me no, I assumed they were correct....

Shows the value of forums like this, and the value of sales reps at trade shows.

I gotta make sure it will work with APT...

I'm gonna chase them up and see how much $ and make a case for upgrading.

Regards,
AS
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 02 September 2016 at 10:05am
Creating remnants for became available in Enroute 5 but this feature does not work for ATP. The feature can only be used when nesting within Enroute and manually outputting your files. 

Best Regards,
Aaron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic