SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outline of Tool Path

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Zuercher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outline of Tool Path
    Posted: 23 September 2016 at 12:16pm
Is there a way to make an outline of a tool path?

I have some engraving tool paths, generated by following an irregular depth open vector.  This creates a tool path of varying width.  Is there a way to make an outline of that tool path.  I need to be able to export a vector outline of the shape of the engraving for our art department to work with.
Todd Zuercher View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Zuercher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 12:30pm
Up till now the closest I can get to what I want, is to take a screen shot of the tool path, import that image, vectorize it, then scale that vector so it sort of fits.  Very clumsy and not real accurate.
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 11:01am
Todd,
 You could simply apply your tool path then export it as a DXF and then it will come up with some options like if you would like to save the vector lines or the tool paths. 

Best Regards,
Aaron
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Zuercher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 8:42am
The vector "is" the tool path, what I want is the outline of the tool path (what you see when you press F9).

Kind of the opposite of how you get a normal engraved tool path, where you have the outline and Enroute draws the 3d tool path vector to fill that outline.  Here I have the 3d vector tool path but I want to get the outline that it creates.
paloalto_17 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paloalto_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 10:57am
In that case you probably won't get what you want. You could create an outline or inline at half the diameter of the bit to possibly get the outline you are looking for. It may not be exact but it would be close. 

Best Regards,
Aaron
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Zuercher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 1:59pm
Just making an outline doesn't work because the diameter of the tool changes with the depth of the cut.  (conical or in this case a ball nosed tool)  It is a 3-D engraving tool path not a 2-D endmill cutout.

So what I'm doing now saving a screen shot image of the filled tool path is as close as I'm going to get?
smitha View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 7:21pm
Hi Todd,
I don't know how to get the outline from the toolpath and depth...

but I have used the outline to generate the toolpath...

(draw -> text -> create text.
select the text then:
draw -> text -> text to curves
with the curves now selected, 
toolpath->engrace-> tick 3d engrave toolpath)

not exactly what you've asked for but I hope it helps.

Regards,
AS

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic