SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Routing Poplar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Routing Poplar
    Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 22 December 2016 at 10:09am
Anyone have any ideas?

I recently cut 500 pieces 3" x 10" from 1" stock. I tried a few methods to get varying results. I also got varying results when I used my best method. That method was using a 3/8" compression bit in 4 passes leaving about .1" skin. That was the rough cut, ofset by .06.
I then cleaned up in 3 passes with a 1" 3/16 sincle flute up spiral. from P.L. Schmitt at about 400 ipm 20,000 rpm. climb milling.

The larger diameter tool was to ctreate a channel for chip evacuation and the smaller one for the detail I needed.

does anyone make little parts from poplar, of big parts for that matter, and if so, what tools do you use?
Todd Zuercher View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Zuercher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 27 December 2016 at 8:56am
You don't really say what the problem you are fighting is.

Poplar is very soft, and is prone to tearing out chunks in the pithy soft parts of the grain and chipping at corners.  The best way to combat both those problems is by using climb milling, and to use very sharp tooling.

When milling out small parts I often like to use a down spiral for the finish pass (when cutting free) to help prevent the piece from moving.

N Sign View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N Sign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Software: OtherEnroute  Level:
    Posted: 05 January 2017 at 1:30pm
hey, where's my reply go?
I'm not typing all that out again!

No problem per-se, just wondering if there were better ways out there.
What people did to route popllar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic