SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offset Tool use???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offset Tool use???
    Posted: 24 November 2005 at 8:34am

After working with Enroute for approx. 2 years now I have realized that if I had a single tool to pick out for revamping it would be the OFFSET tool. Everyday I am constantly switching back and forth from our CAD program to Enroute to offset single line contours. To offset a single open offet contour in Enroute is a chore to say the least and even then there are times it cannot be done at all forcing you to go in and out of the program to correct and revise.

Tom in PA

Andy K View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 5:19am

Tom,

Are you having problems with the direction of cut with the open offset contour tool?

What do to correct it?

Andy K

tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2005 at 8:21am

Andy,

Not direction of contour but trying to offset the object. Draw a square and go to Offset command. You have a choice of either inline or outline, rounded or square and the offset amount. Now draw a line and try to do the same thing.

We use open contour line alot when making laminating forms. We machine using open offset contours and to adjust form shape we need to offset the original line. This means back to the CAD program and re-export/import or we jockey around in Enroute and draw line to make a shape, merge to shape, offset, explode and then delete all the garbage you don't need. A lot of moves that can result in errors if not careful.

Try it it's not fun, but it's the only way I have found so far.

Tom in PA

bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2005 at 3:56pm
Tom,

I agree that there is a shortcoming in Enroute in only being able to offset closed objects that you have drawn or imported.

You might "sometimes" do a simple COPY, PASTE and then move the pasted line into the new location. This will at least work quickly on a single line. No good though for arcs.

What I've done occasionally is to close an object by adding another line to bring ends together. JOIN it, offset it in the correct direction, and then explode it and delete the unneeded lines. Again, this will solve the shortcoming some of the time.

I've been involved in Enroute 3 from it's earliest availability when I did beta testing. It's come a long ways with lots and lots of glitches having been fixed. I agree that it is now time to try and get some more of the basic drawing and toolpathing tools incorporated into the program. In my opinion some of these would be:

1. Being able to PAN and ZOOM while using various tools.

2. Being able to take measurements with a measuring tool.

3. Being able to do open contour line drawing offsets as per this discussion.

EJ, if you or Hasign happen to see this perhaps you could pass it on to the engineers?

Thanks,
BH Davis
tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2005 at 10:47pm

BH,

I agree. We don't need full blown CAD capability in Enroute but just the basics as described in this forum. The tools that you and I use in everyday manufacturing are as basic as you can get, but none the less required. My offset discussion above revolves around arcs and other open contour shapes. This has been the biggest pain.

I also agree that Enroute has come a long way with all the improvements over the years but those of us that use the program everyday in all types of applications and scenarios need to heard and listened to. I have tried many other toolpathing programs over the past 2 years and I have still not found one that beats Enroute for ease of use on a day to day basis.

I may also post more opinions on this forum that anyone else lately, but when I see anything that causes me a problem, it will causes others the same problem, sooner or later.

Keep up the good work guys,

Tom in PA

Hasign View Drop Down
Master
Master

Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 4:26pm
No Problem BH. I will pass this along.

Hasign
tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2006 at 9:21am

Hasign,

Any luck on the Offset Tool working with open contours?? This is a thorn in my side every day when we have to make male and female forms for our curved work.

Has anyone at ScanVec looked at this?? Do we have any type of workaround available??

Thanks,

Tom in PA

Hasign View Drop Down
Master
Master

Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 12:28pm
Tom,

I will research this now and send you a email with details.

Hasign
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic