SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perimeter slot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perimeter slot
    Posted: 18 March 2006 at 12:07pm

I have to cut a thin slot around the perimeter of an oval part I will cut on my CNC. I'd like to cut the slot with the router as well so if I set up a jig that elevates the part off the spoil board and leaves room for the cutter to cut the slot how would I toolpath this as far as entry and exit so the cutter moves in from the side, not the top like a typical lead-in/lead-out?

Thanks in advance,

Andy K

tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2006 at 11:12pm

Andy,

Change lead in angle from '0 degrees to something greater and the tool will not enter on the contour line. You can also set the lead in to 3D arc and it will also start lead in off the part contour line. Setting entry exit to '0' will always allow the tool to follow the contour.

Hope this helps,

Tom in PA

ancom View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2006 at 8:44am

Tom,

I almost always use some sort of lead in angle or combination of angle and 3d arc but it will not work in this case because the slot is in the middle of the thickness of the part and is about 3/8" deep.

What I'd like to do is create the part as an open contour with lines that extend away from the finished surface so when the bit moves to the correct elevation it is away from the material. Problem is that this scenario creates loops and EnRoute won't let me toolpath it.

Imagine an oval pc. of wood with a groove cut around the perimeter

What I'm trying to do must be pretty common so there must be a way around it.

Andy K

Edited by ancom
tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:46pm

I get it now Andy.....brain fade for the moment. You can do what you need with an open contour and using a tangent pair of lines for your required lead in and lead out depending on your slot cutter size. Draw your oval and snap a line anywhere on the contour simulating a lead in path. Explode the oval. Zoom in on the point where the lead in line and contour line connect. Right click on the exploded oval at a point near the line /contour intersection and select "CUT CONTOUR". You now have a slight break in your oval. Delete the small section and duplicate your lead in line and snap it to the newly established point.

Merge all the broken parts back together and you now have a good open contour to toolpath. The entry / exit points will only be off by the width of the break, nothing to worry about I would think.

When you run the path in 3D you will see the tool drop to the required depth away from the part, run the perimeter of the oval and then exit away before moving in the Z axis.

I think this is what you are looking for. I have a sample file to email you if you like.

Hope this helps,

Tom in PA

Andy K View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:56pm

Tom,

Please send the sample file. andy@ancomcabinets.com

I did as you suggested and it would not toolpath for me because of "loops" detected.

I did manage to get it to work by creating two overlapping open contours with lead ins and outs similar to what you describe but I would rather do it in one motion

Andy K

tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 9:30pm

Andy,

File sent with no loops detected. Break is only .014. Zoom in to see it.

Hope this helps,

Tom M in PA

andkal View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andkal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 6:35am

Tom,

I finally made the parts I had been asking about and your idea worked slick, got the job done.

Thanks for the help

Andy K

Andy K
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic