SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making Shoulders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superjay5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Shoulders
    Posted: 03 December 2004 at 3:51pm

I am trying to make a shoulder/lip on a piece of acryllic and cant figure it out. I am completely baffled on how to go about this. I was using enroute 2.2 and it was a breeze, now I have enroute 3 and I cannot figure it out for the life of me. The manual is vage, and I cant find any additional info. I'm not sure if I use a clean pass to do this, or what. I can kinda get it but the routing order is backwards, meaning its going to cut the piece out before it makes the shoulder. This is very frusterating, please help. I even called tech support and didnt get an answer and am waiting on a return call. If any of you are signmakers all I am trying to do is make a push-thru letter. thanks.

jackw View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2004 at 3:06pm

SuperJay5, there might be other ways to accomplish this effect, but here's what I do...

Choose the shape(s) you want to shoulder.  Choose Routing Offset.  Add your tool, let's say .25" End Mill.  Add it again.  It is displayed as a Rough and Clean Tool.

Make the Rough tool the depth of the material (or your final cutting depth).  Make the Clean tool the depth of your shoulder (the distance from the top of your material to the top of your shoulder).  Go into the Cut Definition on your Clean tool and scroll down and open Widths.  Check Shoulder.  You can adjust the width of the shoulder here also.

Make sure to change any other Cut Definitions for your tools (speed, passes, etc.), and also check Inlay on the main Routing Offset screen as well.  These steps assume you are using material surface as your zero.

Jack

ejnodurft View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
SAi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejnodurft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2004 at 5:11pm

Hello,

One other thing to make sure to do is to make your clean tool, which will make the shoulder because it won't go all of the way through the material, the first tool to cut and the rough tool as the second tool.  This is done where it says Order in the routing offset toopath dialog box.  Then to get this tool order to take effect, set the Strategy as the highest priority in the ordering section.

draap View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2004 at 7:32pm
Hi EJ I wondered if I would see you here I didn't know the answer on this one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic