SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting Rosettes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting Rosettes
    Posted: 14 September 2006 at 7:15pm

I've defined a tool in my toolholder as a drill. It is actually a rosette cutter. I've set the speed to 4000 rpm and the plunge rate to 1/2 inch per minute. The tool plunges much faster than that, I'm not sure how fast but  running the file without material I can tell it is too fast. I set the plunge rate slower and no differance.

Could it be because I've defined the tool as a drill that it plunges at a set rate? I'm not sure how to define it as another kind of tool and just create a slow plunge cut.

Any Help?

Andy K

bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 4:55pm
You should be able to simply edit the Z feed rate in the file after it is generated. That doesn't answer you queston as to why it is happening, but it does give you a work around.

BH Davis
ancom View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2006 at 9:03pm

BH- That is what I ended up doing, lowered the feed rate to about 16% and they cut fine

Andy

bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2006 at 5:16pm
Andy,

That's good. However, there is another issue that needs to be considered here.

If you are using your router spindle to hold the rosette cutter then you are putting significant vertical stress on the spindle bearings. Spindle bearings are designed for horizontal forces, not vertical. If you did this a lot you could be setting yourself up for a premature spindle rebuild.

Good luck,
BH Davis
andkal View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andkal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2006 at 8:26am

BH,

I realize this and only needed to make about a dozen rosettes so I figured I'd be OK going very slow into the wood. Worked well too

Andy K

Andy K
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic