SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cut Tabs on final pass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cut Tabs on final pass
    Posted: 18 December 2004 at 4:52pm

I am cutting 1 in Cedar.  I use tabs to hold the piece in place.  On small pieces I would like to have the cnc routher cut the tabs on the final pass.  I use a mulitcam series A.  I do not have a tool changer, and am using a 3/8 in. end mill.  I currently do two passes, cutting a 1/2 in. each pass and create the tabs on the second pass.  I then run a second tool path starting it manually to cut full depth and cut the tabs.

After viewing the Enroute training CD it appeared to me that I could do both tool paths in the same file, by adding another offset cut by just adding another 3/8 in tool in the dialogue box, which is labled fine.  So the idea is I have a rough 3/8 in. that does two passes and leaves the tabs and then I would add a second tool (still 3/8 in tool) that is fine and it would do a full depth cut, cutting the tabs.

When I simulate this it appears that Enroute  adopts the same parameters for the same tool, I would have thought I could define two tools (even if they were the same 3/8 in end tool) and have different cut parameters.  When I simulate the idea, the simulation creates tabs in both tools, there fore adopting parameters from tool 1 into tool 2.

So do I need to make up a custom  tool which is 3/8 in and use it for the second fine tool so Enroute does not think it is the same tool as in 1 and adopt the bridges in tool path 2?

Or do I try cutting  a slot, and put it on the tab (not easy to repeast many times)

Or do I just paste the g code onto each other so it will do what I want, it would be great to do in Enroute to save time of course?

Changing tools manually is not efficient of course.

Damon View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2004 at 2:33pm
Would simply onion skinning the part  solve the problem?
bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 7:19am
You can assign a second toolpath to the same line in Enroute 3.  After you assign the toolpath with the tabs (bridges), then click on the line and assign a second toolpath.  It will show in the toolpath window as the same you applied the first time.  Just turn off BRIDGES and hit OK.

Run the 2D simulator and you'll see the bit stop for one one mouse click at both ends of each bridge on the first toolpath assigned.  That is the bit raising and lowering.  Then on the second pass you'll see the bit travel through the bridges at full depth.

To make this easy to see just draw a rectangle in Enroute, assign a plate that FITS THE SELECTION, and then assign a single bit/single pass ROUTING OFFSET using large bridges so they are easy to see (perhaps 2" long on an 8" x 8" rectangle).  Then assign the second toolpath WITHOUT the brdiges to the same line. Run the 2D simulator and you'll see the result for which you are looking.

BH Davis
tgm3301 View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm3301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 12:39am
You can also just go to Toolpath>Edit Bridges and offset the
rough pass bridge from the final pass bridge and you will cut
out the bridge on the finish pass, no muss, no fuss.
Ask me how I learned this useful trick......

Good Luck,

Tom in PA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic