SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Imported an STL but can not toolpath it

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote displayideas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imported an STL but can not toolpath it
    Posted: 24 December 2004 at 5:46pm
I had someone do a 3D laser scan of a part and he sent me an STL file. I imported it and sized the plate to it. I can ender it and it looks just like the part but a little rough on the edges. But even after looking through the help files, I can not find a way to apply the toolpath or smooth it. I will be gone until the 4rth maybe some one has some experience with STL laser scans.
Thank you and have a Blessed New Year,
Michael
displayideas View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote displayideas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2004 at 5:49pm
I can ender it is suppose to be "enter"
Sorry it says we can not edit them at the bottom.
gootyam View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gootyam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2004 at 2:29pm
Well, you can't apply a path to an imported object. You can however apply a toolpath to a 'relief', so what you need to do is to create a relief and apply the mesh to it:
Import the stl file (you already did that). Now make a new relief that is larger than the stl object. Do this by making a square around the object and then with the square selected, click on 'create relief' button. Now you should have a yellow square and your imported stl object, and using your 'right' or 'front' view move the object and the relief to the proper place in the z axis. Now all you need to do is select both things and hit the 'apply mesh to relief' button and choose merge highest and smooth object buttons in the dialogue.

The dialogues and options are explained in the tutorials.

I am working on a 60 meg laser scan stl file for a job right now, so I know it works.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic