SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OFFSET/INLAY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHNHORN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OFFSET/INLAY
    Posted: 07 January 2005 at 12:57pm

IS THERE A WAY I CAN TELL MY TOOL TO CUT AN EXTERNAL CUT ADD ADD 1/8'' TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE CUT? I NEED TO MAKE MY PIECES LARGER THAN THEY ARE. I HAD OUTLINED THEM, THEN EXTERNAL CUT, AND THAT WORKS BUT THERE SOULD BE A WAY TO DO IT USING THE "INLAY" OPTION, BUT IT DOES NOT ACCEPT NEGATIVE NUMBERS.

JOHN

bhdavis View Drop Down
Professional
Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2005 at 1:02pm
I'm not quite sure if this will help, but I have made cuts offset from lines by redifining the tool. That is, if I need to cut 1/8" beyond a line I could define a 1/2" bit as 1/4" wide, but still use the 1/2" bit.

In reality I've done this type of thing to increase a FILL by a few hundreths of an inch.....that is, specify the tool as .49" wide but use the 1/2" bit. That pushes the tool path out .01" around the border of the FILL.

BH Davis
Daniel_tlv View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_tlv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2005 at 8:58am

using the inlay option will NOT get you the right solution by adding a gap you're actually cutting closer to the line or even cutting through it, a negative inlay gap should do it but this is not an option yet. so your options are :

a. making your lines slightly larger, or offset the lines.

b. adding a clean pass tool, the diameter of the clean pass tool should be the measure you want to enlarge your cut by- then when outputting the file to machine you're only outputting the Rough tool,(that will work for external routing offset)

c. like BH mentioned you can define your tool slightly smaller than the actual tool you're using, but that way there'll be more to consider.

Daniel

Daniel_tlv View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_tlv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2005 at 9:09am
Ooops...of course it will increase the cut by the clean pass tool's radius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic