SA International Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > EnRoute FAMILY > General EnRoute
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

enroute 4 - importing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amgreetings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: enroute 4 - importing
    Posted: 05 September 2008 at 12:29am

Right now we are using both flexi expert 7.5 and enroute 3.03.  We use flexiexpert just to vectorization artwork and to import tiffs.  Then we use enroute just for toolpaths. 

I know enroute has some vectorization ability.  My question is, does Enroute 4 have the ability to import tiffs and pdfs?  In addition does it have the ability to centerline?

Thanks  --  Dan

tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2008 at 8:25am

Dan,

One of the cool things about using Flexi and Enroute together is that you have the option in Flexi to export directly into Enroute. In Flexi go to the FILE menu and below the IMPORT and EXPORT options you will see the option SEND TO ENROUTE.

Using this option will open Enroute and directly import the Flexi file so it's ready to tool path. There is no reason to use tiffs or pdf's out of Flexi....just let the program do the work. It's a very unique feature since both Flexi and Enroute have the same parents and it really does save a lot of time and monkey motion.

What do you mean...'the ability to centerline'...??

Tom in PA

amgreetings View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amgreetings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2008 at 10:59pm

Tom

Thanks for the info, but I do not think you understood what I was asking.  what I was trying to do was to eliminate the need to even use flexi save both time and money.  

Basically my work is using already prepared artword thats either tiffs or pdfs thats converted to tiffs.  I open this prepared artwork in flexi, vectorize it, open it in enroute and create the toolspaths.  If I was able to just open and vectorize the tiffs within enroute as can be done with bmps, then it would save time and eliminate software.  True I can convert the artwork I receive from tiffs to bmp but quality suffers and is unacceptable. 

What I meant by the ability to centerline, in flexi, you can take lines within artwork and vectorized it to centerline so in enroute you can trace the line - for example fine lettering.  The version of enroute we have will vectorize but not centerline vectorize like flexi.  I was wondering if it was available with the new version. 

Basically all I need to know (yes or no) if Enroute 4 can import or open .tiff or pdf files.  In addition I was wanting to know if Enroute 4(yes or no) will centerline vectorize.   Remember, I am not creating the artwork but using already prepared .tiffs or pdfs. 

Thanks  --  Dan

Edited by amgreetings
tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2008 at 9:13am

Dan,

Enroute 4 will import pdf file types but there is no option for tiff files.

As for the centerline option, I can't answer that. If Flexi does the trick I would continue to use it. If you do all the vectorizing in Flexi and then use the SEND TO ENROUTE option for toolpathing how much time are you actually 'wasting'?? If uou are not duplicating any efforts in Enroute that you did in Flexi, I don't understand the issue of wasting time and money. It's still a very smmoth and seamless transition. If you have both programs open and go from one to other to complete your work, that's pretty darn efficient.

We use multiple programs each day in our business and we have looked for that so called 'silver bullet' that would allow us to only use one program but it's like hunting down the 'Holy Grail'.

If you are getting the artwork from others just have them output it in format that allows you do your job in the most effective manner. They surely have the means to do this when developing the artwork.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA

ejnodurft View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
SAi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejnodurft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 12:33pm
Hey Dan,

EnRoute 4 added JPG to the BMP import filter, and there is a PDF import as well.  We will work to add TIFF and a couple of other common raster formats to the BMP import filter in upcoming versions.  As for the Centerline and Color Vectorization, it's something that we'll look into.  Adding those new vectorization capabilities will be a bit more involved than adding the new import formats, so it will probably take a little bit longer.   

EJ Nodurft
EnRoute Product Manager

tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 12:48pm

Welcome back to the board EJ.......how have you been doing?

Tom in PA

ejnodurft View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
SAi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejnodurft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 1:56pm

Doing well Tom, thanks.  I just came back on board with EnRoute as the Product Manager, as you probably figured out from my last post.  I learned a lot in my couple of years selling machines, but I missed working with EnRoute.  I'm excited to be back and look forward to helping to make EnRoute a better program and helping lend my expertise to customers who need help.  Thanks for participating so much with the forums.  Iíll send you my info once I get my contact information in order.   

Regards,

EJ

Edited by ejnodurft
tgm View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 2:34pm

Thanks for the update EJ,

I was confused at first as your listing on the post says 'Advanced Machine Tools' and your closing says 'Enroute Product Manager'. That had me going for a minute or so.

I don't mind participating with the forums at all, someone has to. I may not have all the answers everyone wants to hear but at least I am trying to help where I can. If I help one person with one problem, it's worth the time. The more participation we have the better the product will evolve in future releases.

Again, welcome back.........

Tom in PA

amgreetings View Drop Down
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amgreetings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2008 at 8:44pm

Originally posted by ejnodurft ejnodurft wrote:

Hey Dan,

EnRoute 4 added JPG to the BMP import filter, and there is a PDF import as well.  We will work to add TIFF and a couple of other common raster formats to the BMP import filter in upcoming versions.  As for the Centerline and Color Vectorization, it's something that we'll look into.  Adding those new vectorization capabilities will be a bit more involved than adding the new import formats, so it will probably take a little bit longer.   

EJ Nodurft
EnRoute Product Manager

thanks for the additional info.  It gives me something to look forward to. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic